Sunday, April 18, 2010

In A Nutshell

Miss the teaching conversation on Sunday? Listen in via our POD CAST.

SCRIPTURES FROM SUNDAY:

2 Corinthians 5:17-19; Ephesians 4:13, 15-16; Mark 10:45, Luke 19:10; Matthew 22:37-40; Micah 6:8; Deuteronomy 6:4-9

REFLECT/DISCUSS:

· When it comes to communication, are you a short and sweet and to the point? Or do you tend to give the long version of the story? Give an example.

· In a sentence or less, describe: yourself, your best friend, your spouse, your kids, your passion, your biggest dream, Jesus, your church community. Is this easy or difficult for you? Why?

· Other than the examples in the scriptures above, can you think of a time in the Bible where big truths are summed up in a nutshell?

· Can you think of a “nutshell” truth about life, wok, relationships, etc. that you carry with you each day and try to practice?

· What do you think about the suggestion that Connections is about: Building Relationships That Change Things? In your opinion, does that seem to mesh well with what you know about the story of God and Jesus? What you see at/in Connections?

· We talked about building relationships with God, Other Believers and the World. Which comes easiest for you? Which is tougher/needs more work?

· Is it helpful to be reminded that we’re “building” relationships? Why/Not?

· Have you ever seen a relationship change someone? Explain.

· How have you changed or grown in the past year? In your relationship with God? Other believers? The World?

· Has any “thing” changed for you as a result of being a part of Connections? If so what?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." -- Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2

In regular practice, I tend to despise nutshells. It's when you understand a topic with some depth that you can start to find interesting connections. I think the reason a lot of people are frustrated with learning is that they see it as the memorization of a lot of disconnected facts. Some of the most amazing, raw joy I've ever experienced is in seeing how things fit in ways I never expected.

Also, like Hamlet up there, I find that nutshells tend to parochialize our vision. We live in a culture (or maybe it's the human condition!) in which people absorb sound bites and consider themselves informed. The real world is complex, detailed, and subtle. Hamlet found nightmares a reminder that he was not in charge of everything. I find the fact that I often just don't get things just such a reminder -- the world is way deeper than I am.

But, in spite of this, there is a value in nutshelling (it's a verb!) that I tend to overlook. I want to live in a way that pleases God, and quick litmus tests are a great way to do that in day-to-day life, especially if you have to try to figure God out before coffee. Thanks for reminding me, Fred.

Oh, one other thing. I know some people will disagree with me, and it's not my intent to start a flame war, but Fred touched on something that I've always considered to be true: God is patient in a way that beggars the imagination. Again, I know others will disagree, but I find profound evidence of this in the way science has shown us that God has created the Universe. He created the Universe, then waited some 9.2 billion years before creating the Earth -- then waited an additional 4.5 billion years before creating people. Then more waiting until His Son would come to show us Himself. Then more waiting until He showed His Son to us. Then more waiting as we figure out what that means.

God is staggering in His patience. I'm grateful that, while He often condenses things for our benefit, He fits into no nutshell that we can comprehend.

Anonymous said...

Let me requalify that last "often". If God really is infinite -- and I believe He is -- then any time He reveals Himself, He must be condensing things.