Thursday, May 8, 2008

What Are We Doing Here? GOING HOLISTIC

This week Shawn Cooper led us in a teaching about letting Jesus into every part of our lives. As a part of the conversation, Shawn told a story about Charles Blondin- a famous tightrope walker. The tale goes that after Blondin pushed a wheelbarrow back and forth on a rope strung over a dizzying height, he asked a spectator if the man thought Blondin could put someone in the wheelbarrow and take them across the rope safely. The audience member was sure that Blondin could do it. When Blondin invited him to climb in, the man declined.

As I heard the story recounted, I tried to picture myself in it. I think I would have responded just as the man did- yes you can do it, but not with me. But even if I had worked up the nerve to climb in the wheelbarrow, I would have divested myself of a few things first. I see myself handing my watch, wedding ring and wallet to someone else to hold- just in case.

Then I started wondering if that's the sort of thing that we find ourselves doing with God. Maybe we get up the gumption to put our souls in Jesus' hands. But since we aren't 1000% sure where Jesus may lead us, we choose to keep control over certain parts of our lives. We decide not to take certain things on this little adventure with Jesus. We take off our watches because we don't want to give Jesus all of our time. Sundays are fine, but more??? We take off our rings because we don't want to give Jesus complete control over our relationships- married or otherwise. And the wallet? Ok, maybe we'll put a few bucks in our pockets to let Jesus control- but the rest is ours. Right?

Sorry, don't mean to project too much. So, speak for yourself.

What do you need to put in the wheelbarrow right now?

What part of your life have you been keeping control of, instead of surrendering completely to God?

Why have you withheld that area?

What would it take to start giving God control of it?

(It might also help to look back at Proverbs 3:5-6, which was a core scripture in this teaching.)

No comments: