Monday, December 8, 2008

I Wish I COULD BELIEVE

What's your favorite Christmas movie or show?

As a kid I would have said it was "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer". In college it wouild have been "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". Today it's "Elf".

Whatever your answer, I'll bet there's a good chance the plot includes a quest for belief- in Santa, the goodness of people, the ability to change, that people can be accepted or reconcile with each other, etc.

Why is that? Why do our Christmas stories and celebrations reveal a longing to believe? Maybe because the desire for faith echoes inside every heart. And because Christmas- God becoming one of us- is a huge part of God's plan to grant our wish for faith.

Every player in the Bible's Christmas story is asked to believe something amazing. Let's meet one person who often gets overlooked in the telling of the story.

STARTING EARLY
Most of us complain that Christmas starts too early. We see decorations go up in October and let out a deep sigh. Recently I watched a special on people who go over the top to decorate their yards and houses for Christmas. Their displays inspire tens of thousands of people to stop by every year. Their average starting date for decorating? August.

We usually start telling the biblical Christmas story with the angel's visit to Mary. But God is doing some amazing things 6 months prior to that with an old priest and his wife. Zechariah and Elizabeth are people with a real, deep faith (don't miss what God thought of them)- and an empty house. Certainly they'd prayed that God would give them children over the years. But no answer came. Until one day when Zechariah is in a special place doing a special work and gets a pretty special message.

How does this man of deep faith respond? See for yourself. Is that the response you expect? Would we have believed the angel? When it comes to believing God, some of us would say, "I'm not wishing for faith. I've believed for a long time." You mean, like Zechariah? His struggle to accept God's message reminds us that faith isn't static. We don't believe once and lock faith in. Instead we choose every day to trust God with our lives. Others of us think about faith and reply, "I wish I could believe, but I can't. Maybe if I knew more, could get my questions answered, or could experience God in a real way I could believe." You mean, like Zechariah? To those of us who struggle with faith his story reminds us that answers and miracles don't guarantee belief. We still have to choose.

GOING WITH IT
So what happens when we want to believe, but just don't? We've got to go with it. Look at what happens for Zechariah. God gives him some time (and silence) to process things. (Note: If God can't get our attention through a blessing, He may use a challenge.) The only way for Zechariah to know if God is really going to give him a child is to give it a shot and see if God shows up as promised. Maybe the same is true for us. Maybe we need to set our questions, reasons and doubts aside and see if God doesn't meet us in it. And God won't rush us. We may assume that faith should be instant, but God seems ok with a gestational period. Elizabeth's growing belly is a good picture for what is happening in Zechariah's heart- and what might happen for us if we are willing to go with it.

FAITH (RE)BORN
9 months later the baby arrives. And Zechariah has a chance to speak. His name for his newborn son speaks volumes about what he has come to believe. And when his vocal chords release, his gives voice to his faith and gratitude. Don't miss what happens next- God uses his story to speak to others and work in their lives. For those of us who feel like our doubts disqualify us from being used by God- think again. Sometimes our struggles are what make us usable.

REFLECT/TALK:
Q: Do you agree that most people have a desire to believe in God or someone/something bigger than themselves? Why/Not?

Q: How would you describe your faith in God today?

Q: Do you tend to think of faith as a static thing, or something that is constantly being decided? How does this play out/impact your life with God?

Q: What do you think of the angel's response to Zechariah? Have you ever seen God use a tough situation to get your attention? Are you more responsive to God's positive messages or the convicting/challenging ones?

Q: What role do you think time played in Zechariah's change of heart? Do we over or underestimate our need to let faith gestate and develop?

Q: Take another look at the impact Zechariah's profession of faith has. What struggles of faith have you come through? How has/could God use your story to impact others?

5 comments:

Shane said...

How I wish we had a video or podcast of this message. It was outstanding. Even though I've been a bible student for practically all my 40 years - you are teaching me afresh most weeks.

Joel said...

Well, I thought this was pretty ordinary... but man did this speak directly to me. I've always struggled with how far I should go with my commitment to Christ. Should I sell everything and give to the poor? Should I be on my knees praying every spare minute of the day? It doesn't seem like we could ever do enough to serve Him. Then there is the feel good part. We want to FEEL good or like we did something that people will remember or talk about. We want the pat on the back attaboys. Wouldn't it be nice if God actually wispered in our ear, "Well done good and faithful servant" to help us out with that need for approval. Ok, so now we know that we can serve God in our oridinary everyday lives. (Whew, what a releive, I guess I can take our house of the market now. :))
But, what should we do in our everyday lifes to make sure we are doing enough to satisfy our obligations as a Christian?

Joel said...

I just realized I'm leaving a comment for last weeks message. Doh! Where is this weeks message?

Fred said...

It's coming. But thanks for the thoughts and questions.

I really appreciate your wondering if you are doing the things that are pleasing to God. That kind of questioning shows a sensitivity and openness to God- and I think that's a big part of living to honor Him.

What is enough to please God? If Jesus is right- all we need to do is love God with everything we are and love our neighbors as much as we love ourselves. No big deal. (HA!)

I'm not sure I ever get there- but I'm hoping to do my best and to trust God to make up the difference.

Feel free to re-post your thoughts as a comment on this week's post when it gets up.

Shane said...

I don't think God created us so we would do stuff to try to please him. He created us to have a relationship with us. He has so much love in him he simply felt that he needed a creation to share it with.

When we begin to grasp the depth of God's love and grace (often through daily or weekly encounters with Him that fill us up) we want to share that love with others -- not to appease/please God, but because God is fully living in us and its just a natural thing to flow out. And it seems like the more gifts you allow to flow out from you makes even more room for God to dwell in you and fill you up even more.