Didn't get to hear the teaching conversation on Sunday? No problem, you can join in via our PODCAST.
Scriptures From Sunday: Deuteronomy 12:6, 14:22-29, 8:7-18; Leviticus 5:5-7, 11a; Exodus 22:29-30, 23:19a; James 2:14-26
- How do you feel about structure and complexity? Do you need them? Crave them? Avoid them? Do they give you life- or sap it from you?
- Have you ever felt/thought that God’s commands are burdensome or heavy handed? Like Daniel in The Karate Kid wrestling with Mr. Miayagi’s training methods, have you ever wondered if God is using you or trying to take things FROM you?
- What could/has a shift toward seeing God’s instructions and commands as an expression of what He wants FOR you mean for your relationship with your Maker?
- Why do you think God gave the nation of Israel such a complex and detailed system of offerings as they began their relationship with Him?
- What are your experiences with and perceptions of tithing? Have you ever thought of percentage based giving as a way for God to level the playing field and allow everyone to participate?
- God commands Israel to give him the first and best of their produce, the firstborn of their livestock, their best wine, etc. Do you think God wants this idea of priority giving to translate to us today? If so, how can we give God our first and best if we don’t bring offerings of food and drink?
- Think/Talk about a time in your life when a hands-on experience really helped you grab hold of an idea you already “believed in”. Do you think more words on the topic would have had the same impact?
- Read Deuteronomy 8:7-18. Do you think we face the same temptation God warns the Israelites about in this passage? If so, how can giving help mitigate it?
- Take a look at James 2:14-26. How do you feel about/respond to the ideas in this passage? Does what you are offering God today (think $ and beyond) require any faith on your part? If so, what would?
- The Sunday teaching focused on a few key emphases that seem to run throughout the complexities of the OT sacrificial system: PARTICIPATION, PRIORITY, and PRACTICE. Which of these would God have you to focus on most now as you learn to offer yourself more wholly to Him?